Tomato calories

iconocalorias

Never so little calories provided so many benefits

Tomato calories

Scientifically known as Lycopersicon esculentum tomato is the fruit of a plant of the Solanaceae family, native to South America.

Despite being technically a fruit, tomatoes are generally classified as vegetables.

The water content of tomatoes is around 95%. The other 5% is composed mainly of carbohydrates and fibre.

A medium-sized tomato (123 g) contains only 18 calories. They are also very low in fat and have zero cholesterol levels. Besides, they are also an excellent source of antioxidants, dietary fibre, minerals and vitamins.

Tomatoes have a low quantity of calories. Although they contain simple sugars that give them a slight sweetness, as well as some organic acids that provide its characteristic sour taste, the truth is that tomatoes are the ideal complement to a slimming diet.

Whether raw, fried, baked,  in a sauce, juice or soup, tomatoes are a nutritious and refreshing food due to its flavour and their low calories. Specially in the summer, it is included in renowned diets of  high nutritional prestige, such as the Mediterranean diet. The health benefits of this simple fruit are much higher than those of many drugs because, without using harmful chemicals for the body, they are able to naturally generate changes for the better in human metabolism.

The calories of this food, which belongs to the fresh vegetables category, provide our body with the energy it needs to perform the daily activities that require more effort.Our body uses tomato calories as a source of energy for any physical activity such as running or playing sports as well as for intellectual tasks that require a high level of concentration.  Without calories as those provided by tomatoes, we would not have enough energy to face the day.

 

 

¡Tast me!

We use our own and and third-party cookies, for the analysis of user navigation. If you continue browsing, we consider that you accept its use. You can change the settings or get more information here. If you want to hide this message click here.